Enjoy this flavorful squash dish as a vegetarian entrée or carve into wedges and serve as a side.
Hands-on Time: 10 min. | Total Time: 60 min. | Serves: 4-8 | Difficulty: Easy
- 2 small acorn or Delicata squash, halved, seeds scooped out, about 2-3 pounds
- 1 (6 oz.) package Lundberg ‘Organic Whole Grain Quinoa and Rice Rosemary Blend’
- 4 Tbsp. of vegan margarine or vegan butter, divided
- 1 cup apples, cored and diced
- 1 cup celery, finely diced
- ½ cup raisins, chopped
- ¼ cup walnuts, finely chopped
- 4 Tbsp. maple syrup
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Heat oven to 400°F. Lightly oil a baking sheet and place squash cut-side down on the pan and bake until squash is just tender, 20-30 minutes.
- While squash is roasting prepare the rice, according to package directions, using 2 tablespoons of the margarine. When rice is cooked, add the apples, celery, and raisins to the hot rice and let sit covered until you are ready to stuff the squash.
- When squash is roasted turn them cavity-side up and season with salt and pepper and drizzle with half of the maple syrup. Fill each with the rice mixture and sprinkle with chopped walnuts. Drizzle with remaining maple syrup and bake squash halves for another 15-20 minutes. Refrigerate leftovers.
Per serving: Calories 280, Calories from Fat 80, Total Fat 9g (14% DV), Saturated Fat 2.5g (12% DV), Trans Fat 1.5g, Cholesterol 0mg (0% DV), Sodium 250mg (10% DV), Carbohydrates 51g (17% DV), Dietary Fiber 5g (20% DV), Sugars 15g, Protein 4g, Vitamin A 15%, Vitamin C 35%, Calcium 8%, Iron 10%.