Everyone will be wanting seconds this Thanksgiving, when you bring this orange-infused sweet potato casserole with a gooey maple-pecan layer!
Hands-on Time: 40 min. | Total Time: 60 min. | Serves: 9-12 | Difficulty: Hard
- 2 lbs. sweet potatoes
- 3 Tbsp. butter, divided
- 1 tsp. salt, divided
- ¼ tsp. cinnamon
- ½ cup orange juice
- 2 large egg whites, room temperature
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 3 Tbsp. water
- 1 Tbsp. maple syrup
- ½ cup pecans, chopped
- Peel and cut the sweet potatoes into 1½” chunks. Place in a large saucepan and cover with water. Over high heat, bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 15-20 minutes, until the sweet potatoes are tender. Drain the water from the saucepan.
- Add 2 tablespoons of butter, ½ teaspoon of salt, and cinnamon to the sweet potatoes. Mash the sweet potatoes with a potato masher until there are no large lumps.
- Add the orange juice and continue mashing until the mixture is smooth.
- Position oven rack to the upper third part of the oven and heat broiler. Spray an 9”x9” casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Beat egg whites with a mixer until soft peaks form. Mix sugar and water in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a simmer and stir until the sugar dissolves. Bring back to a boil and heat until a candy thermometer reaches 238F. Drizzle sugar syrup into the egg white mixture while continuing to use the mixer. Beat for about 2 more minutes. Set the meringue aside.
- Mix the maple syrup, the remaining butter and remaining salt in a small saucepan. Heat over medium heat until the mixture comes to a boil, then add the pecans and cook for 1-2 more minutes, while stirring constantly.
- Spread the sweet potatoes into the casserole dish. Top with the pecans. Spoon the meringue over the top of the casserole.
- Broil for 1-2 minutes, until the top is browned.
- Serve and refrigerate leftovers.
Per serving: Calories 160, Calories from Fat 50, Total Fat 6g (9% DV), Saturated Fat 2g (10% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholesterol 10mg (3% DV), Sodium 250mg (10% DV), Carbohydrates 24g (8% DV), Dietary Fiber 3g (12% DV), Sugars 11g, Protein 2g, Vitamin A 220%, Vitamin C 10%, Calcium 4%, Iron 4%.